Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Healthy and HAPPY


When starting to eat healthy and change your eating habits, it’s a whole lot harder than it seems! And you find yourself spinning in circles trying to figure out what you should eat and shouldn’t eat when every book or guru seems to conflict with the other! Well why not continue to eat the things you do but in a healthier manner? I don’t believe I can cut out too much of the very foods I love, therefore I’ve already failed! Just the thought makes me dread the change! I want to be HAPPY and Healthy, not miserable and Healthy! Besides, we all have that inner child that will constantly want the very thing we’re told not to have!! However, I do believe I can tweak the things I already do eat to have less fat, higher protein/fiber etc. I’ve never been into fast food so that’s easy to kick, but I’ve always loved pizza and Italian food! And we all know Pizza and Pasta is loaded with the empty calories- bad carbs, little to no protein or fiber! I’m going to continually create and make different recipes around the foods I love, that are easy and quick and you don’t have to go to a special store to buy weird ingredients! My first meal, I was in the mood for some Spanish spice! I call it:

Fiesta Chicken Sausage  and Rice

Ingredients:
Chicken Broth (Low Sodium/Low Fat)
Pre-marinated Garlic and Herb Chicken Sausage Sliced
½ can of Diced tomatoes with JalapeƱos
2 Cups of Minute Brown Rice
1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
½ Green Pepper Chopped
1 Tablespoon Minced Onion
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
Seasonings-
Light Adobo
Light Sason
Paprika
Chilli Powder
Pepper
Parsley

Microwave the Minute rice for 10minutes. While that is heating pour the olive oil in a deep pan followed by the Garlic, Onions, Green Peppers and Diced Tomatoes. Simmer for a few minutes on low-med heat. Pour 1/2cup of Chicken Broth and Sliced Chicken Sausage, stir and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add the brown rice and seasonings and simmer on low-med heat for 5 minutes. Ta-Dom! Fiesta Chicken Sausage and Rice in under 15minutes!

Options- You can use regular chicken to cut down the fat content.
You can add some reduced fat cheese chunks to add some more flavor or any other veggies to your liking!

Servings: 4
Estimated Contents per serving:
Calories: 320
Fat: 7 Grams
Protein: 15 grams
Fiber: 7 grams

No comments:

Post a Comment